- As we get older, our responsibilities increase, and with only so many hours in the day, it’s crucial to find a work-life balance that works best for us.
- There isn’t a work-life balance formula that works for everyone, but there are ways to build your work-life mix.
The balance between career responsibilities and personal responsibilities is the happy medium for individuals to feel in control of their day-to-day lives. Various things can affect your work-life balance, such as a personal milestone or increased working hours. We spend about one-third of our life at work, and there are only so many hours in the day to complete individual tasks and hobbies before and after work hours. So how does one create a work-life balance?
The truth is that work-life balance looks different for everyone, so it may be the perfect individual blend that works best for you. So, there’s not an ideal formula for achieving the work-life balance that you hear of, but we share how to craft your work-life mix.
5 Tips To Building A Work-Life Balance
1. Realistic rather than perfection: No day is the same, and therefore it should be expected that your mix of responsibilities will change each day. So, your perfect blend of a work-life balance will change, and it’s essential to strive for realistic expectations rather than perfection.
2. Choose your health: Making time for self-care is essential for your overall well-being. So, take breaks in your day to move your body, whether that’s taking a walk, attending a workout class, or any other exercise. Exercise has proven to help your mental health by increasing endorphins that improve your mood and decrease stress.
3. Take time: Whether it’s a mental health day, sick day, vacation time off, or you have a chronic illness, take time off when you feel you need it. If you think you need to take time from work to take care of yourself, it’s best to take the time now instead of waiting as you may worsen. Additionally, taking time off from work can increase your productivity as you gain a more evident mindset when away. Check-in with your supervisor to let them know you’ll be taking the time.
4. Create boundaries that work for you: To make the most time of your portion of your work-life balance, create boundaries. Boundaries can look like dedicated time each week to spend time with your hobbies or limiting screen time during certain night hours to gain more quality time with your family. When working towards more personal time with loved ones, whether friends or family, try to schedule times like dinner dates, so you have dedicated time.
5. NEWJOBPHORIA: Since most of your time is spent at work, we recommend finding a job that you’re passionate about. When you find a job that’s an extension of yourself, we like to call that NEWJOBPHORIA. If you’re looking to find a career you love, we can help you! Our recruiting team will review your resume and try to find the perfect match for you. Just submit your information here.
If you’re taking all five of these steps, you’re one step closer to a work-life balance that works best for you. Remember, it’s what works best for you, and realistic expectations are needed rather than perfection. If you’re looking for more articles like these, we recommend the article, How To Find Mindfulness At Work. This article talks about techniques you can bring into your workday to give a mental break.