- The use of the different social media platforms
- 10 effective ways to leverage social media
- Advice on how to stand-out
It seems like just about everyone is on social media. There are 3.78 billion social media users in the world in 2021. While we may all use social media personally, did you know you can leverage it professionally to help you find a job?
Below are social platforms that can assist you in your job search.
· LinkedIn is a professional networking social platform that’s well known to connect with those in your industry.
· Twitter is a micro-blogging social platform that you can use to be a thought leader in your industry’s space.
· Facebook is a social platform that allows you to connect with others and spark conversations. Facebook has a group feature that can give you the space to collaborate and discuss with those in your industry.
· Instagram is a photo-sharing social app where you can not only share your photos but follow other accounts that have photos of your interests. Instagram is a great place to illustrate your professional skillsets and past creative work.
10 Ways To Use Social Media To Find A Job
1. If you have a personal account on a social platform that you wouldn’t feel comfortable having your employer see, consider making your account private.
2. Keep your social media profiles up to date. For instance, your LinkedIn account should accurately reflect your resume as of today.
3. Social media can be a summary of your best work. Share links to your work, link to your website, or share photos of your latest work that you’re most proud of.
4. SEO, search engine optimized, your profile by using keywords relevant to your industry in your bio and your updates (when possible) for more eyes on your account. In the best-case scenario, a hiring manager finds your account through the keywords you used that also fit a job description, so they reach out to you!
5. Request testimonials and references from your past clients or coworkers for your account or portfolio. Having these quotes will give your account credibility.
6. Build connections with those in the industry. Connect with current, former coworkers and those that are working at some of your dream employers. When requesting, send a personalized message, so they know that the follow was intentional.
7. Follow brands and other brand career pages or accounts that align with your career goals. By following their accounts, their content will regularly show on your news feed so that you can interact with the accounts.
8. Follow industry-related hashtags. Not only will following brand accounts keep you on top of your industry, but you can also follow hashtags. By following hashtags, you’ll see accounts’ posts that are using that hashtag, which may introduce you to new profiles.
9. Research the company’s social media account. Do you have specific companies in mind that you’re looking to apply for? Check out their social media accounts to see what their work and culture are like.
10. Check back on your social media platforms regularly for any potential relevant job postings. Whether you check back daily or weekly, it’s essential to look for new listings as they are added every day!
If you’re in the job market, take a little of your time to use these ten ways on social media to be a stand-out candidate. Are you looking for more job searching tips? Check out our article on the dos and don’ts of building an effective resume.